Here at Harbor Light Christian School we are committed to giving our students a positive first year of school experience. Our deepest desire is that each child grows in faith and love in the Lord Jesus Christ and becomes an eager, confident learner.
Our purpose is to train and promote initial learning behavior and education skills in three to five year olds. Our curriculum is developmentally appropriate and will be geared to the learning styles of young children and their stages of development. This includes a variety of child and teacher directed activities with the emphasis on active learning through exploration and play using all five senses.
Educational Focus includes the following:
- Bible Lessons
- Character Qualities
- Phonics and Language Arts
- Science and Social Studies
- Fine Motor Skills
- Gross Motor Skills and Physical Education
- Music and Art
Preschool classes are available to meet the needs of your family. You may choose from the following:
- 3 Full Days or 5 Full Days from 8-3
- 3 Half Days from 8-12:20
- Child must be 3 before September 1st of the current school year and toilet trained.
Introduction to Curriculum
Harbor Light Christian School strives to provide the utmost in Christian Education. Bob Jones University Press, A Beka Books, Christian Schools International Press, McGraw-Hill, Houghton Mifflin, and Saxon Publishers are among the commonly used texts. Some secular publications and texts are used. If any secular publications or texts are utilized, it is thoroughly examined by the Education Committee to determine the extent of its use.
Our kindergarten program offers a comprehensive learning experience including a full academic schedule with language arts, math, science and social studies along complemented by essential classes such as art, library/technology, PE, music, weekly youth chapel and daily Bible instruction.
A Few Specifics:
- Children learn to read through exposure to many important pre-reading skills, phonics and sight word instruction.
- Writing instruction includes both mechanics, creative expression and non-fiction writing using mentor texts.
- Science and Social Studies are interwoven across the curriculum by means of thematic instruction relevant to the lives of children.
- Math explores many foundational concepts such as numeral recognition, counting, patterning and builds to include addition, subtraction, beginning place value and more.
- God’s Word is implemented daily through prayer, Bible stories and activities and memory verses.
- Multiple teaching strategies are utilized to help each child reach their full potential.
- 5-6 year old children love to move, dance, explore and construct and have fun!
All of our instruction is given through the context of the world God created. It is super exciting to watch as the awe and wonder of the children combines with the order and logic inherent in Creation.
The school readiness program at HLCS focuses on developing students in their character, education, and relationship. Social and emotional development provides students with opportunities to share and listen with others, listen to peers, while working on respect and self control in their daily living. Students improve their fine and gross motor skills while learning stories and verses from the Bible, having an introduction to colors, letters, and numbers, and experiencing hands-on science. Leadership, caring and friendship are also important aspects of the school readiness program.
Secondary Class List
- 7/8: Old Testament Survey
- 9/10: Gospels & Epistles, Acts of the Apostles, Salvation by Faith - Old & New Testament
- 11/12: World Religions, Ethics & Current Issues, Apologetics/Revelation, Good & Evil
25 Credits that include the following classes:
- 4 credits of English/Language Arts
- 4 credits of Social Studies/History which include: